BOOK REVIEW: The Handbook of Parapsychology by Hans Holzer


The Handbook of Parapsychology 
By Hans Holzer

I am going to start this by saying, DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK. This is probably the first book I have given a bad review and unfortunately I can't find a way out of that. I will give you the rundown but please if you are wanting to find a good book on Parapsychology look for books from Rhine, his associates, Ebon, Price, Roll, Myers, or associates of theirs. There is one inaccuracy within this book that makes me question whether you can trust other information or details that he has received second hand. Is any of it accurate information? 

Hanz Holzer is a well known parapsychologist that has authored many books about the paranormal and extrasensory perception. This handbook was written and published in 1972. Holzer begins the book with a short introduction that discusses his reasons for writing a handbook on parapsychology. First to help his students and second to help those who do not have the time or inclination to take classes. He also explains that the book is written in such a way that even the layman would understand. As I read the introduction one particular sentence got my attention “I have long been convinced that man has within himself a component of immortality and that this component must be studied in order for us to learn the system of life itself.” For me, this is an excellent way to grab my attention as an avid paranormal researcher.

Each chapter covers a different topic within his purview of parapsychology; What Exactly are Parapsychology, ESP, and the Psychic World?, The various forms of ESP and mediumship; development of ESP faculties, Sex and the psychic force, The nature of time and space in relation to paranormal evidence, Life after Death, Ghosts/Apparitions, Deja Vu/Reincarnation/Collective unconscious, Hypnosis, Witchcraft/Satanism/Underground Cults, Numerology/Astrology/Hand Analysis/Atlantis Problem/UFOS, Psychic Healing, and Tests. 

In the first chapter he states that he does not believe there is a sixth sense, but rather that we can go beyond the seeming limitations that our 5 senses usually possess. He mentions frequently that it isn't supernatural, it is natural. If I didn't realize I held a paper book in my hand and that I was reading it, I would be waiting for one of those infomercial guys to pop out and give me the $5.99 ways to be psychic with all the trimmings of course. The topics jump around from place to place like an ADHD brain that won't quit. (I did mention that this review was not going to be good right?) 

In the second chapter is where he pretty much lost my faith in him, and Holzer is a well-known name. I had serious second hand embarrassment for him when he stated that "Clairsentience" is clear smelling. I was like, Wait WHAT? Now I immediately thought maybe it was a typo, but unfortunately there was a paragraph that took up half the page enumerating all the things about Clairsentience being clear smelling. So if you don't know Clairsentience is Clear feeling, Clairalience is clear smelling. I discussed this with a few friends and one mentioned maybe he had a ghost writer or it was an error due to it being produced in a hurry since it is a mass market paperback. I knew these terms had been around for a while, this is a colossal mistake by someone who made it a point to be exact and correct. Regardless of who or what made this mistake I really can't take anything said in this book as a fact, I would have to fact check every detail; which is absurd. But I read the entire book anyways. (I did like this quote..,)

"…It is not the job of the parapsychologist to find a so-called normal, logical explanation for the phenomena we know exist. Is it our job to find the truth, whatever it may be, and whatever it requires of us in the way of adjusting our thinking.” –Hans Holzer


There were a few things that I did enjoy from him like the discussion of déjà vu, reincarnation, and the idea of an IBM computer somewhere with all of our information stored in it. (One of our investigators always thought we were in a computer simulation.) He even mentions some things regarding hypnosis which could be covered in our more new age term "shadow work". One quote really got me though "As in any interesting field of research there will always be some individuals of doubtful background who wish to make themselves more exciting to fellow men." He was referring to people saying they had psychic abilities, experienced UFOs, or other phenomena. It smacks of stating that someone who is uneducated or not established in society or career couldn't possibly be worth hearing an experience from, because how could they have one? Either way he may have had quite a few things within the book that made me think, I just didn't like the attitude presented in his writing. 

All in all Holzer spends an inordinate amount of time justifying his point of view in a fashion that is a little off-putting. One of those situations where someone is saying "trust me, I know what I am saying, so I'm obviously right", I was not a fan. There are a few instances in the book where he had some very interesting points of view that made me think, but it was usually followed up by another "trust me" moment. If you do end up purchasing this book, PLEASE fact check the details. Not only was this book written in 1972 and probably deserves an update, but it was apparently released quickly without an eye to correct information. It is not a good resource. If you want to read books that may be similar, look to new age and metaphysical books. I will be honest they have better accuracy and more comprehensive information. 

Rebecca Boyer
Co-Founder/ Case Manager
Antietam Paranormal Society


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spirit Attachments

Code of Ethics and Protocols For the Paranormal Investigator and Researcher

The Mystery of the Horse and Wagon at Antietam